Photo provided by Luke Carney
Luke Carney is a quarterback who stands at 6-foot-1 and weighs 185 pounds. He currently lives in Mesquite, Texas and plays at Dallas Christian School.
We caught up with Carney as he prepares for the 2022 season. In 2021, he led Dallas Christian to a TAPPS (Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools) Division II state title.
1. What is your No. 1 goal heading into the season?
(To) win another state championship.
2. Compare your style to an NFL/college player; who would be the closest?
I would compare myself to Jalen Hurts. He’s able to extend plays with his feet and deliver accurate passes downfield.
3. What major/degree are you hoping to pursue in college?
I haven’t put much thought into it, but I’m leaning towards pursuing something in business.
4. Favorite football memory?
My two favorite memories were when I threw a 40-yard pass in fifth grade for a walk-off touchdown and winning the Texas state championship as a freshman with Dallas Christian.
5. Have you visited any college camps yet?
Yes, I attended the TCU and University of Colorado camps, and also visited Oklahoma State.
6. Do you plan on going to any camps next summer?
Yes, I plan on spending a good part of my summer going to camps.
7. How has COVID-19 affected your football career?
Our family decided it was best to attend IMG Academy for a year during the pandemic to get the best possible training I could to prepare for high school.
8. Do you plan on enrolling early when it is time to attend college?
Most likely. I think it would give me an advantage to learn the playbook in the spring semester.
9. Obviously, the NFL is the ultimate goal; besides that, what do you want to do post-college career?
Get a master’s degree and start a family.
10. What is a fact about you that most do not know?
I am a multi-sport athlete who has played tennis, basketball, and ran track.
11. Who was your role model growing up?
I don’t really have role models. I mainly focus on my journey and doing the things necessary to be where I want to be.
12. What is your favorite drill to do in practice?
My favorite part of practice is doing team pass.
13. What is your favorite meal?
Steak, shrimp, and mashed potatoes.
14. What are some of your hobbies besides football?
Playing video games and other sports.
15. What is one thing you love about your hometown?
I like Dallas because the weather is great and there is nothing like Friday night lights in Texas.
16. Do your parents care where you go to school, meaning do they mind you being far from home to achieve your dream?
I’ve been away from home before when I went to IMG, so I don’t think they would mind if I went far to go to my dream school.
17. Do you have a dream school?
No, I don’t, but my favorite schools so far are Georgia Tech, Oklahoma State, and Colorado.
Stats: 69% completion rate, 2,099 yards passing, 457 yards rushing, 30 touchdowns, five interceptions