Photo designed by Darius Jackson
Darius Jackson is a defensive lineman who is 6 foot-2 and weighs 285 pounds. He currently has a 3.8 grade-point average.
We caught up with the Jacksonville, Fla. native to talk about his junior college career and hitting the transfer portal. He most recently played at West Hill College Coalinga in California.
1. Between now and when you transfer to a new school, what is your No. 1 goal?
Improve my game fundamentally. Focus on getting my mind and body game-ready before the first day of practice.
2. If you had to compare your style to a NFL/college player, who would be the closest to your style?
Akiem Hicks of the (Chicago) Bears (because of) his reads of his opponents and the use of their momentum to his advantage. I also always studied Aaron Donald due to our similar build, height and the constant double teams we have to combat.
3. What major/degree are you hoping to pursue in college?
Computer programming is my main major.
4. Favorite football memory?
In high school, me and my team caused a fumble from a deep ball and I was able to recover it, trucking a few guys.
5. Have you visited any colleges this year?
I’ve visited Fresno State, USC and UCLA.
6. Do you have any offers?
Currently sitting on one official from Lane College of Jackson, Tenn.
7. How has COVID-19 affected your football career?
Due to COVID, I was limited to three games but got 31 tackles, five force fumbles, one for a safety, and two sacks. I was ranked eighth in the Cali(fornia) JUCO rankings for tackles a game as a nose guard.
8. What is the No. 1 thing you are looking for when transferring?
A stable lifestyle with good culture with coaches who have your best interest at heart and wellbeing.
9. Obviously the NFL is the ultimate goal; besides that, what do you want to do post-college career?
I want to pursue my programming career, travel the world, but have some stocks and properties.
10. What is a fact about you that most do not know?
At 6-foot-2, I have a size 16 shoe.
11. Who was your role model growing up?
I never really had anyone to look up to growing up, but I always had a image of my future self that motivates me.
12. What is your favorite drill to do in practice?
Oklahoma drill, hands down. I love to battle in the trenches.
13. What is your favorite meal?
Chicken wings — all flavors. (I) could eat it every day.
14. What are some of your hobbies besides football?
I play a lot of video games. I watch anime and engineer music.
15. What is one thing you love about your hometown?
Jacksonville, Fla. holds all my best memories with my day one friends in a simpler time.