Photo provided by Lin Johnson
On July 23, Bartow High School quarterback Lin Johnson committed to Tennessee-Martin.
Johnson’s commitment serves as a big get for the Skyhawks. He’s rated as a 2-star quarterback by the 247Sports Composite rankings.
We caught up with the Bartow, Fla. native to talk more about the decision to take his talents to UT Martin.
— Lin Johnson (@Lin_Johnson_10) July 23, 2021
1. What is your No. 1 goal between now and the time you step foot on UT Martin’s campus?
My goal before going to UT Martin is to lead my team to another playoff run this year. I wasn’t able to play in the playoffs last year because I got quarantined.
2. What was the No. 1 reason you committed to UT Martin?
I committed to UT Martin because they were the first team to take a chance on me and offer me.
3. What is something you didn’t know about Martin, Tenn. until the coaches told you about it?
I didn’t notice that Tyson Simpson is (UT Martin head coach) Jason Simpson’s son. He’s a great quarterback and hope to get some work in with him in the future.
4. If you had to compare yourself with an NFL player, who would it be and why?
I would compare myself to Josh Allen. I would say I have a strong arm but people also underestimate my running ability and that’s something Josh can do well.
5. Will you be taking an official visit to UT Martin during football season?
I will be taking my official visit sometime in December.
6. Being from Florida, what do you expect to shock you the most when you attend Tennessee for your collegiate career?
I’m a huge family guy so my family is what I’ll miss most. I’m definitely going to miss the great city of Bartow and all of guys that I’ve had the honor to play with in high school.
7. You said in a tweet that you had no contact with any coaches; how did you end up on UT Martin’s radar?
I was in talks with a couple of schools leading up to summer. I was about to play my spring game and my trainer sent my information out to (UT Martin assistant recruiting coordinator Brandon) Buchner and they immediately started recruiting me. (UT Martin) eventually offered me after seeing me perform in person. I can’t thank Coach Baylin (Trujillo) enough. He’s been such an inspiration and role model to me on and off of the field. Everything he does is for his trainees.