A senior who recently transferred to Bishop Ireton High School in Alexandria, Virginia, defensive end James Gillespie recently committed to Louisiana-Monroe.
I’ve Officially Committed To The University of Louisiana Monroe!
Also I’ve Transferred With My Coach @BallCoach34 To Bishop Ireton For My Senior Year!@CoachViator @ULM_FB @coachjay91 @CoachStoker @CoachPFMiller @WeArePACT @GJrWorth #BallOnTheBayou#VA2ULM #TalonsOut pic.twitter.com/s0WtFQH3VP
— James Gillespie (@JamesGillespieR) August 10, 2020
At 6-foot-2 and 300 pounds, Gillespie becomes Louisiana Monroe’s highest-ranked recruit ever. He picked the Warhawks over West Virginia, Penn State, North Carolina, Michigan, and more.
Many expect big things from him in Mornoe. We caught up with Gillespie to ask him some football questions and why he committed to UL-Mornoe.
Tupou Maile (DE) 6-2 / 300 lbs. / Bishop Ireton High School
1. Heading into your senior year, what is your No. 1 goal?
My No. 1 goal is to give it my all and to leave everything on the field.
2. If you had to compare your style to a NFL/college defensive end, who would be the closest to your style?
If I had to compare my play style to anyone in the NFL, I would compare it to Fletcher Cox, because we both mainly use our strength and power to our advantage.
3. What major/degree are you hoping to pursue in college?
I want to major or do something in psychology.
4. Favorite football memory?
My favorite football memory was getting an overtime sack against Patriot after a huge comeback.
5. Did you ever visit ULM before committing there?
I haven’t visited ULM before committing, due to COVID(-19).
6. What stuck out to you about playing at UL-Monroe?
Just the family-based atmosphere they have and how the coaches communicated.
7. What was the ultimate reason to attend ULM?
The ultimate reason was to compete and be the best me and develop as a player.
8. Do you plan on enrolling early when it is time to attend college?
I plan on playing my senior season in February, so I won’t graduate early.
9. Obviously the NFL is the ultimate goal; besides that, what do you want to do post-college career?
I want to make sure I get myself a degree.
10. What is a fact about you that most do not know about you?
I am a gamer. I play video games a lot — all varieties of them.
11. Who was your role model growing up?
My role model was my brother. He always made sure he put on a good example of himself for me.
12. What is your favorite drill to do in practice?
My favorite drill is anything working with the hips and explosion and power.
13. What is your favorite meal?
My favorite meal is Alfredo pasta.
14. What are some of your hobbies besides football?
I love being outside with fresh air and being in nature.
15. Favorite movie?
My favorite movies are the Transformers movies — all the way up to No. 3.
16. What is one thing you love about your hometown?
I love my hometown, because it is where I grew up and where my family and friends are.
17. Favorite place for vacation?
18. Do your parents care where you go to school, meaning do they mind you being far from home to achieve your dream?
My parents don’t mind as long as I am happy with it.
More information about James Gillespie