A senior at Holy Cross of San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas, Romelo Portillo is a very powerful downhill runner, who is extremely good at following his blockers. In the process, he picks a ton of yards for Holy Cross High School.
He is not one to shy away from hits and will lower his shoulder to plow through defenders. We caught up with the running back prospect to talk football and much more.
Romelo Portillo (RB/FB/OLB) 5-9 / 190 lbs. / Holy Cross Of San Antonio
1. Heading into your senior year, what is your No. 1 goal?
My No. 1 goal for my senior year is getting through the school year and dominate on the field.
2. If you had to compare your style to a NFL/college running back, who would be the closest to your style?
I would compare myself to Marshawn Lynch; he’s a powerhouse back. He doesn’t get taken down by one guy, and he’s just a beast on the field.
3. What major/degree are you hoping to purse in college?
I’m hoping to get a degree in sports medicine; my other choice was to major in architecture.
4. Favorite football memory?
My favorite football memory is the long bus rides and heading into the locker room with my brothers.
5. Have you visited any colleges yet?
No, I haven’t visited any colleges yet due to COVID(-19).
6. What stuck out to you about the recruiting process?
What really stuck out to me during the recruiting process is the fact that I’m not alone trying to play at the next level. You’re always gonna have to compete for what you’ve always dreamed. My dreams aren’t just my dreams, they’re also somebody else’s.
7. How has COVID-19 affected your recruiting?
It’s affected my recruitment and my family dramatically. My parents had COVID. I tested negative. It stopped me from going to camps, practices, visits, and it’s affecting everyone’s senior year just in general.
8. If you show coaches one play from your Hudl which play would it be and why?
The title is junior highlights Twitter V 0:00-0:12. That’s the actual time that it starts; the reason why I would show this to coaches is because it shows I have vision, speed, I’m going downhill — not dancing — and it also shows I could follow my blocker.
9. Would you be willing to change positions if a coach asked you?
I’m an athlete. I will play wherever coaches would want me to play, but I will fight for my position.
10. Do you plan on enrolling early when it is time to attend college?
If it came to it, of course I would.
11. Obviously the NFL is the ultimate goal; besides that, what do you want to do post-college career?
I would want to be as close to the field as possible, so I would pursue my degree in sports science. I would also love to become a coach one day.
12. What is a fact about you that most do not know about you?
The one thing that most people don’t know about me is all of the sacrifices I’ve made to get to where I am today. I’ve came down a long road, but I’ve always pushed myself to my limits and that’s one thing that people won’t see under the lights is my blood, sweat, tears, and the sacrifices I’ve made in my life. They will never see anything I went through. All they will see is another kid playing football.
13. Who was your role model growing up?
My role models growing up are my parents and they still are. They’ve never steered me in the wrong direction; they’ve always been there for people when they weren’t there for for them, they showed me to keep my circle small, don’t let people run over me, and always be careful on who I call my “friends”.
14. What is your favorite drill to do in practice?
Oklahoma drill is the best drill.
15. What is your favorite meal?
I love Chinese food, but my grandma’s beans will never be forgotten. I will always miss those bean and cheese tacos she made in the morning.
16. What are some of your hobbies besides football?
I like to draw, spend time with family/friends, and I like to lift.
17. Favorite movie?
My favorite movie is Remember the Titans. The story behind it to me is just something unforgettable.
18. What is one thing you love about your hometown?
Competitive football, obviously, but the festivities over here are amazing. People love to come down here for fiesta.
19. Favorite place for vacation?
Florida was the best vacation for me, but if I wanted to go anywhere else, I would love to go to Dubai. The views over there are amazing.
20. Do your parents care where you go to school, meaning do they mind you being far from home to achieve your dream?
My mom does, because it’s my mom and my dad always says whatever school that’s going to pay for me to go there, then he’s good with it.
21. Does your high school plan on playing this season or are they planning on pushing the start back?
We’re going to have a season no matter what is what I’m hearing, but we’re trying to get pushed back, so we have time to work on stuff. We haven’t really been able to get stuff done, because of the circumstances we’re currently going through, but we have Zoom meetings, so it’s better then nothing at all!
Norwich, Arkansas Baptist, Capital, Waynesburg, Mount Marty, Missouri Baptist, North Florida, Saint Vincent, Baldwin Wallace, Ohio Wesleyan, Hamline, Ohio Northern, Monmouth, and Doane.
40-Yard Dash: 4.60 seconds
Shuttle: 4.57 seconds
Bench: 300 pounds
185 Bench (Reps): 25
Squat: 400 pounds
Deadlift: 430 pounds
Clean: 375 pounds