A sophomore at La Salle High School in Cincinnati, Gi’Bran Payne has been receiving a lot of interest lately — even with the COVID-19 shutdown. At 5-foot-10 and 190 pounds, Payne already has 16 offers and one Ohio High School D-2 championship under his belt.
As his high school career carries on, touchdowns will continue to come naturally to this 4-star running back. He has been talking weekly with Michigan and Ohio State on the phone. He has appeared on both sides of the ball when taking the field for La Salle High School.
We caught up with Payne to talk football and much more before he starts his junior year to defend his high school team’s state title.
Gi’Bran Payne (RB/OLB/DB) 5-10 / 190 lbs. / La Salle High School
1. Heading into your junior year, what is your No. 1 goal?
To be a two-time state champion.
2. If you had to compare your style to a NFL/college running back, who would be the closest to your style?
I do not have one. I take different things from a variety of players and make them my own.
3. I see you play on defense too; what position do you play on that side of the ball?
Outside linebacker or defensive back.
4. What major/degree are you hoping to purse in college?
Sports management or sports medicine.
5. What schools do you have a planned visit scheduled for? Did the COVID-19 cancel any scheduled visits?
Yes, it forced me to not have anything scheduled.
6. Favorite football memory?
Winning the 2019 state championship.
7. How did it feel after scoring in the championship game?
It felt great, because I was first to score a touchdown in the game and I made part of the first instant replay in Ohio high school football history.
8. How does it feel to be the defending champions heading into your junior year?
It feels great, because it’s only making us work harder because everyone hates us since we’re “the team to beat”.
9. What is your favorite celebration after a huge run or touchdown?
I usually just stomp my feet and scream or something. Usually, whatever comes to mind first.
10. Do you celebrate harder after a pick-6 or a rushing touchdown?
I had one pick-6 this year and it was for 95 yards. I had to make some moves to get there, so I was too tired to celebrate, so I would say rushing touchdown.
11. How many offers do you have to play college ball (all levels)? List your first-ever offer and your latest offer? Also which Division I school offer surprised you the most?
I have 16 total offers — all DI; my first-ever offer was from Northwestern University and my latest was Georgia Tech, but the one that surprised me the most was my first one.
12. Would you be willing to change positions if a coach asked you?
Whatever I can do to help my team win.
13. Do you plan on enrolling early when it is time to attend college?
I can not enroll early, because of the credits required at a Catholic school.
14. What is a fact about you that most do not know about you?
I used to hate football.
15. Who was your role model growing up?
16. Obviously the NFL is the ultimate goal; besides that, what do you want to do post-college career?
Work in the field of my major.
17. What is your favorite meal?
I really do not have one. I just love to eat.
18. What are some of your hobbies besides football?
I am a two-sport athlete (runs track).
19. Favorite movie?
20. What is one thing you love about your hometown?
We got a skyline.
21. Favorite place for vacation?
22. Do you parents care where you go to school, meaning do they mind you being far from home to achieve your dream?
Not really; they want me to go wherever I want, but they would like if I stayed somewhat close.
More information about Gi’Bran Payne
Payne has received offers from Akron, Boston College, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Purdue, and Western Michigan.
(also missed a few games due to injury)
Rushing yards: 790
Touchdowns: 12 (9 rushing, 3 receiving)
Forced Fumbles: 4
Interceptions: 2 (1 touchdown)