A senior at Ripley High School in Mississippi, Tristan Vandiver has big-time football dreams. At 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds, Vandiver already has offers from NAIA and Division III schools.
There is obviously not a lot of time before the 2021 fall season but we caught up with Vandiver to talk football and much more. As his career came to a end with Ripley High School, he ventured into 7v7 with the Southern Xpress (@_SouthernXpress).
Tristan Vandiver (QB) 6-2/ 205 lbs./ Ripley High School (MS)
1. What is your favorite meal?
My mom’s chicken almond casserole. Every time she makes it, there are no leftovers.
2. Would you be willing to change positions if a coach asked you?
Yes, I played linebacker my junior and senior year. I have worked for years to become a better quarterback, but I love the game. Just being able to continue to play the game at the next level would be a dream come true.
3. If you had to compare your style to a NFL/college quarterback, who would be the closest to your style?
I respect Drew Brees’ game so much. His belief in himself. He works so much behind the scenes and is relentless in preparation. His accuracy is off the charts. He is just a machine. I want my team to believe I can get them the ball in the just the right place. However, I want to play with the heart of (Brett) Favre. He loved playing ball. He had so much fun out there and was a gunslinger. If I could combine those two players, that would be who I want be.
4. What is your favorite thing to do besides football?
I like being outside with my family and friends. I like to play basketball with friends.
5. What major/degree are you hoping to purse in college?
Engineering. I’m leaning toward aerospace. What kid doesn’t want to work for Space X or NASA?
6. Are you willing to go the (junior college) route then try for Division I?
Absolutely, I can work for a spot. I’m not afraid of competition. The team deserves to have the best man at the position. I feel like I can come in an win battle and the team over regardless of the division.
7. What schools have you visited and thought about playing at?
I visited a lot of schools from (junior college) to SEC.
My 7v7 team Southern Xpress visited a lot of schools all over the south. This summer, I camped at some of the Ivy (League) schools, Northwestern, (Florida Atlantic), Rose Hulman, Florida Tech, Samford, Tennessee, Memphis, and Mississippi State. I visited Vanderbilt several times last season. I really liked it there. 247(Sports) did an article on my visits there.
8. Have you been offered any preferred walk-on offers?
At Florida Tech.
9. Do you have any offers to play college ball?
I have several DIII and NAIA offers
10. What is your favorite football memory?
Throwing the winning pass with eight seconds on the clock my junior year against Calhoun City. It was a tough game. Calhoun always has a good team. The stands went crazy.
11. What is your favorite place to visit for vacation?
I have visited a lot of places, but my favorite is the Outer Banks in North Carolina.
12. Do you think a hot dog is a sandwich?
No, because it only has one piece of bread around it…
13. Do you have any ridiculous goals in life?
I want build my own company and be my own boss.
14. Leg workout or arm workout?
15.What is a fact about you that most do not know about you?
I love contact. I’m not scared to take a hit, but every once in a while, I get to be the one to do the hitting. That’s always fun.
16. Where are you currently living?
17. When you throw a touchdown, who are the first people you usually celebrate with?
My linemen. Nothing is possible without them providing the time for the play to develop, then (I go) downfield to the guy that made the catch.
18. Do you prefer getting the ball in the shotgun formation or under the center?
19. Why did you pick jersey No. 18?
18 was actually assigned to me my freshman year; my coaches said they thought I was a cerebral player like Peyton (Manning), but I chose to change it to 4 during my senior year because of my childhood hero, Brett Favre.
More information about Tristan Vandiver
Email: [email protected]
Academics and Offers
Vandiver current GPA is 4.2 and has an ACT score of 28.
Has several offers from NAIA and Division III schools.
40-Yard Dash: 4.89 seconds
Vertical Jump: 32 inches
Max Bench: 225 pounds
185-lb. Bench Rep Max: 12
225-lb. Bench Rep Max: 6
Max Squat: 350 lbs
Throwing arm: Right
Training: Four years with QB Country.
Recognitions: Under Armour invite, O-D All-American MVP, All-County, All-District, All-State second team. Player of the Week (several times). Rotary Student of the Month.