A senior at Centennial High School in Corona, California, safety Calvin Pitcher is looking to have a solid senior year.
Currently listed as a 3-star prospect by 247Sports, the West Coast safety hopes to improve his stature as a prospect this coming season.
Calvin Pitcher (S) 6-1 / 195 lbs. / Centennial High School
1. Heading into your senior year, what is your No. 1 goal?
Besides winning a CIF championship, I want to try and lead the team in tackles. I was third last year, but I’m confident I can lead this year.
2. If you had to compare your style to a NFL/college safety/linebacker, who would be the closest to your style?
Keanu Neal for the (Atlanta) Falcons; he’s very aggressive and a sure tackler, especially on the run.
3. How has COVID-19 affected your recruiting this offseason?
I wasn’t able to attend the college showcase my school puts on every year and I think that would’ve had a big effect on my recruiting. A coach seeing me in person would have a different effect than just over the phone conversations.
4. What major/degree are you hoping to purse in college?
As of right now, I’m looking at majoring in business.
5. Do you plan on walking on at a Division I school or taking a scholarship?
I have no interest in walking on anywhere. I want to take a scholarship and have my education paid for.
6. You are rated as a 3-star by 247Sports; do you think you should be rated higher?
I’m grateful just to be a 3-star. It gives me something to work for, so I can some day earn that fourth star.
7. What things are you doing this offseason compared to others to get yourself prepared for your season?
I’m training everyday, waking up at 7 (a.m.) to make sure I get better each day I have the opportunity to.
8. Favorite football memory?
Getting pulled up to varsity freshman year; it was cool getting to suit up with my brother.
9. Would you be willing to change positions if a coach asked you?
Absolutely, I think I can easily be moved around a defense to play different positions that I’d be needed at, whether that’s at linebacker, safety or nickel, I can do it.
10. Do you plan on enrolling early when it is time to attend college?
No, I plan on staying in high school all spring and then report to college in the summer.
11. Obviously the NFL is the ultimate goal; besides that, what do you want to do post-college career?
Getting a degree is a big life accomplishment that I really want to work towards achieving some day.
12. What is a fact about you that most do not know about you?
In the spring, I play lacrosse as my second sport and I’m pretty good at it too.
13. Who was your role model growing up?
Always gonna be my parents. They’re the most hard-working, caring people I know and they both graduated from college to provide and make sure me and my siblings are doing right.
14. What is your favorite drill to do in practice?
1-on-1’s; it’s always highly-competitive and tends to get heated, but it’s definitely fun.
15. What is your favorite meal?
My favorite meal is anything from Chipotle.
16. What are some of your hobbies besides football?
I love to play (PlayStation) 4 and spend time with my dog.
17. Favorite movie?
My favorite movie is Interstellar.
18. What is one thing you love about your hometown?
The location. I’m about an hour away from San Diego, (Los Angeles) and the beach, so I’m able to get around well.
19. Favorite place for vacation?
Turks and Caicos; went there in 2017 and I’m gonna make sure I go back someday.
20. Do you parents care where you go to school, meaning do they mind you being far from home to achieve your dream?
They care only if I go to a good school; their approval does matter to me on what they think of the school, but at the end of day, the decision is ultimately mine.
More information about Calvin Pitcher
Offers: Idaho State University, Valparaiso University, Eastern New Mexico University, and Lake Erie College
Tackles for loss: 1
Forced fumbles: 1