Wilfried Pene is a 6-foot-3, 235-pound tight end from Touraine, France. He came to school in America and enrolled at St. Thomas More Prep in Connecticut.
Pene was ranked as the No. 3 overall prep school prospect, according to the 247Sports Composite. Pene signed with Virginia Tech in December.
We asked him a few questions to get to know him better.
1. How did you hear about Virginia Tech?
I heard about (Virginia Tech) through YouTube when I was in France. I learned more about Virginia Tech when a coach came to my school and talked about them.
2. Which coach do you have the best relationship with?
I have a great relationship with Coach (Adam Lechtenberg) and Coach (James) Shibest.
3. What do you plan on majoring in?
French or Kinesiology.
4. Did you play any sports other than football in high school?
Yes, I wrestled as well.
5. What about Virginia Tech are you most excited about?
Playing football at the highest level I’ve ever played and to be coached by Coach Shibest.
6. What’s your favorite food?
I don’t have a very favorite, but I like to eat salads.
7. What are your weight room numbers?
So in the weight room, my max bench is 350, squat is 605, clean is 315. I love to go to the weight room.
8. What is your favorite football memory?
My favorite football memory? I don’t know. But, I remember one game in France when we played for the national championship and we won. I was 17 years old and I played with players older than me like 19-25; the oldest was 40 years old. And it was this game that changed my mind and I said, “I really need to play in the USA.”
9. Did you look at any other programs?
I looked at all my other offers before VT, online or when I spoke with the coach. But when VT offered me, because all the year, the coaches stayed in touch with me, I said OK, I’m a Hokie.