UK extends Stoops contract to 2028, commits to keep building FB program

Hard2Bluff

2023 SEC East Champ Mode Engage

Our good news was just confirmed. Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart just issued a statement saying that Mark Stoops has agreed in principle to a contract extension to remain Kentucky’s head coach through June 2028. The contract continues guaranteed extensions for any season with seven wins (one-year extension) or 10 wins (two-year extension). The agreement takes into account the Wildcats’ current 9-3 record, which already had earned a one-year extension through June 2027, regardless of the outcome of Kentucky’s upcoming bowl game.

“We have been in discussion with Coach Stoops in recent weeks and are excited about his ongoing commitment to Kentucky,” Barnhart said. “Coach Stoops has done an outstanding job in building the UK football program and we look forward to continued success under his leadership.”

“Our football and athletics programs have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to success for our students — on the field and in the classroom,” said UK President Eli Capilouto. “Our football program, under Coach Stoops, has only strengthened the commitment that we have as an institution to putting students first in everything that we do. We are preparing our students for lives of meaning and purpose when they leave UK, no matter what path they take.”

“I’m excited to continue to build this program to national prominence,” Stoops said. “We’re on our way and I’m more confident in Kentucky football than I’ve ever been.

“I thank President Capilouto and Mitch Barnhart for their support. The continuity among us for the last nine years is extremely valuable and I’m looking forward to more success together.

“Mitch and I came to an agreement a week or two ago and shook hands on it Saturday afternoon. This process is a compliment to our relationship.”

On this morning’s show, Matt Jones reported that Stoops and Barnhart spoke on Saturday prior to the Governor’s Cup and came to an agreement contingent on a new indoor practice facility and recruiting budget.

We have lost one:
Jon Sumrall will be Troy’s next head football coach.

Late Wednesday night the school officially announced the hiring of Sumrall, a former Kentucky linebacker and co-defensive coordinator. He’ll be introduced to Troy football fans at a press conference Monday morning.

Sumrall previously served as an assistant at Troy with another former Wildcat, Neal Brown. A Huntsville native, Sumrall spent the last three seasons on Mark Stoops’ Kentucky coaching staff.

We have lost one:
Jon Sumrall will be Troy’s next head football coach.

Late Wednesday night the school officially announced the hiring of Sumrall, a former Kentucky linebacker and co-defensive coordinator. He’ll be introduced to Troy football fans at a press conference Monday morning.

Sumrall previously served as an assistant at Troy with another former Wildcat, Neal Brown. A Huntsville native, Sumrall spent the last three seasons on Mark Stoops’ Kentucky coaching staff.

Saw that this morning. Kinda came out of left field it seems, but I'm not local so I don't see or hear all the goings on. We've got some beast LBs coming up in the system, so I sure hope we get a good one to take his place. Oh, and good luck to Coach Sumrall. Troy got Neal Brown to WVU. Maybe it can propel him to bigger things too.

Saw that this morning. Kinda came out of left field it seems, but I'm not local so I don't see or hear all the goings on. We've got some beast LBs coming up in the system, so I sure hope we get a good one to take his place. Oh, and good luck to Coach Sumrall. Troy got Neal Brown to WVU. Maybe it can propel him to bigger things too.
To be candid, I really hope we find someone to help the secondary. But good luck to him!

@MarineUKFan Also do you see Marrow, AKA "The Big Dog" going anywhere else? I know he turned down a job at Mich ST last year....We better not lose him IMO

@MarineUKFan Also do you see Marrow, AKA "The Big Dog" going anywhere else? I know he turned down a job at Mich ST last year....We better not lose him IMO

I sure hope not and I really don't see him leaving Stoops. They seem to be too connected to break up that band. He's really got it made at UK unless he wants to be a HC.......

To be candid, I really hope we find someone to help the secondary. But good luck to him!

Clinkscale leaving really hurt but I'm hoping the secondary looks better next year. IMO we can't afford to cheap out on our ILB coach though....that's kinda the heart of the defense. Have to bring in a good recruiter too because Sumrall sure pulled his weight in that category too. Say some folks throwing around a couple names on the home board.....Muschamp or Randy Shannon.....

Clinkscale leaving really hurt but I'm hoping the secondary looks better next year. IMO we can't afford to cheap out on our ILB coach though....that's kinda the heart of the defense. Have to bring in a good recruiter too because Sumrall sure pulled his weight in that category too. Say some folks throwing around a couple names on the home board.....Muschamp or Randy Shannon.....

Muschamp will not leave UGA as long as his son is a player on the team. He pretty much said this. I'm pretty sure he'll take over the DC position when Dan Lanning finally gets the right phone call.

Muschamp will not leave UGA as long as his son is a player on the team. He pretty much said this. I'm pretty sure he'll take over the DC position when Dan Lanning finally gets the right phone call.

Didn't mean to imply that it was anything mentioned from anyone in "the know". Just some free home board posters throwing out a wish list is what I saw. We need a solid LB coach though and a very solid recruiter. Stoops has really done nothing but improve his staff over the years, so I have faith in him that he'll get it right this time too.

Sucks to lose coaches, but that's the price you pay for having good coaches.

Didn't mean to imply that it was anything mentioned from anyone in "the know". Just some free home board posters throwing out a wish list is what I saw. We need a solid LB coach though and a very solid recruiter. Stoops has really done nothing but improve his staff over the years, so I have faith in him that he'll get it right this time too.

Sucks to lose coaches, but that's the price you pay for having good coaches.

Be happy with losing position coaches to opportunities that improve their standing. That means that you have a head coach that's doing a pretty damn good job.

Every time I ever had an employee that came to me and put in their "2 weeks", I always told them that I was happy for them and I wished them the best. As a leader, you always teach them the best you can. Once they've learned enough, they seek improvement in their world. I take pride when I've teached someone enough that they can improve their personal situation.

Be happy with losing position coaches to opportunities that improve their standing. That means that you have a head coach that's doing a pretty damn good job.

Every time I ever had an employee that came to me and put in their "2 weeks", I always told them that I was happy for them and I wished them the best. As a leader, you always teach them the best you can. Once they've learned enough, they seek improvement in their world. I take pride when I've teached someone enough that they can improve their personal situation.

Train them to replace you/take your job. If you're not doing that, you're not doing them service as a leader.

Train them to replace you/take your job. If you're not doing that, you're not doing them service as a leader.

If you're not doing that, you have no confidence in how well you can do your job. If you have no confidence in how well you can do your job, you are not a leader. I always told them, I WANT you to take my job, because if you do, that means I got a promotion.

If you're not doing that, you have no confidence in how well you can do your job. If you have no confidence in how well you can do your job, you are not a leader. I always told them, I WANT you to take my job, because if you do, that means I got a promotion.

Sadly, there are too many managers out there and not enough leaders.

Sadly, there are too many managers out there and not enough leaders.

Heard this tidbit once and kept it, B people hire C people, A people hire A+'s

UK DC turns down LSU:

LSU’s defensive coordinator search will continue as Mark Stoops says Brad White is staying at Kentucky.
Stoops brought up White during UK’s tornado relief telethon

“Brad White is staying with us,” Stoops said before adding White is donating his bowl bonus to the relief efforts.

White joined the Kentucky staff for the 2018 season. He was originally hired as a linebackers coach and took on the defensive coordinator position in 2019, he added defensive coordinator duties.
White spent 6 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts before arriving in Lexington.