This might be the best CFB story of the entire 2020 Covid season. Just read it.

guess i just see things
from a different perspective -

Look, the only thing I'm making light of here is the corporate strategy of turning moments like these into dramatic retellings. This is something Disney has a history of and I have no qualms poking fun at that. I'm not poking fun at the real people involved. That's a super cool thing right there and I expect ESPN to have Tom Rinaldi do a piece on it for College Gameday.

I love that his dad was able to carry the ball in a manner of speaking for his son.

But let's face it, this is totally something Disney would sacrifice someone for in order to get the movie rights. I don't mind poking fun at that at all. I never will.

?

On the morning of Oct. 14 -- yes, the same day that Alabama rocked the college football world by announcing that Saban had tested positive for COVID-19 -- the football offices of Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogdoches, Texas, were sent into a similar tailspin. Colby Carthel, in his second season as head coach of the Lumberjacks, had tested positive two days earlier and now a rapid PCR test had backed up those results. He was already out of the building and now he knew he wouldn't be allowed back in for at least another week. That also meant he wouldn't be on the sideline for the upcoming home game against his alma mater, the Angelo State Rams.

So what did Colby Carthel do? He called home.

Dad was on his tractor. You see, it's cotton harvest season in the Texas panhandle, and Don Carthel is a cotton farmer. OK, he's actually a retired football coach who has gone back to his cotton farming roots. That's why Colby needed to talk to him. The Lumberjacks needed an interim head coach, and the son wanted to know if his father would like the job.

"I left it running and I told my wife, 'Go shut the tractor off, I'm headed to Nacogdoches!'" Don recalls, half-joking. "I got to town a little after midnight Wednesday night so that I could be at the 7 a.m. practice on Thursday morning."

@TechRaiderRider

Read the whole article folks...

Could be the show, the ranch come to life.

Austin Kucher is the son that gets sick. And Sam Elliot is the dad that comes in to coach and teach kids how it was done in the good old days.

Great story!

That old ball coach probably had the time of his life. Every coach gets the itch to do it one more time no matter how ready they were to retire when they hung up the whistle.

Apparently the old guy is a legend in Texas small college football. The way the team welcomed him in that first morning of practice was awesome. For him to go out and get the win for his son really is something that is movie worthy. He climbed off his tractor and hit the road immediately. Left the tractor running in the field. Hell, that's an Oscar moment by itself.