This might be the best CFB story of the entire 2020 Covid season. Just read it.

OldDevilDawg

'21 Co-PotY

On the morning of Oct. 14 -- yes, the same day that Alabama rocked the college football world by announcing that Saban had tested positive for COVID-19 -- the football offices of Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogdoches, Texas, were sent into a similar tailspin. Colby Carthel, in his second season as head coach of the Lumberjacks, had tested positive two days earlier and now a rapid PCR test had backed up those results. He was already out of the building and now he knew he wouldn't be allowed back in for at least another week. That also meant he wouldn't be on the sideline for the upcoming home game against his alma mater, the Angelo State Rams.

So what did Colby Carthel do? He called home.

Dad was on his tractor. You see, it's cotton harvest season in the Texas panhandle, and Don Carthel is a cotton farmer. OK, he's actually a retired football coach who has gone back to his cotton farming roots. That's why Colby needed to talk to him. The Lumberjacks needed an interim head coach, and the son wanted to know if his father would like the job.

"I left it running and I told my wife, 'Go shut the tractor off, I'm headed to Nacogdoches!'" Don recalls, half-joking. "I got to town a little after midnight Wednesday night so that I could be at the 7 a.m. practice on Thursday morning."

@TechRaiderRider

On the morning of Oct. 14 -- yes, the same day that Alabama rocked the college football world by announcing that Saban had tested positive for COVID-19 -- the football offices of Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogdoches, Texas, were sent into a similar tailspin. Colby Carthel, in his second season as head coach of the Lumberjacks, had tested positive two days earlier and now a rapid PCR test had backed up those results. He was already out of the building and now he knew he wouldn't be allowed back in for at least another week. That also meant he wouldn't be on the sideline for the upcoming home game against his alma mater, the Angelo State Rams.

So what did Colby Carthel do? He called home.

Dad was on his tractor. You see, it's cotton harvest season in the Texas panhandle, and Don Carthel is a cotton farmer. OK, he's actually a retired football coach who has gone back to his cotton farming roots. That's why Colby needed to talk to him. The Lumberjacks needed an interim head coach, and the son wanted to know if his father would like the job.

"I left it running and I told my wife, 'Go shut the tractor off, I'm headed to Nacogdoches!'" Don recalls, half-joking. "I got to town a little after midnight Wednesday night so that I could be at the 7 a.m. practice on Thursday morning."

@TechRaiderRider

Exactly!

Buy the rights and put it on Freeform before Hallmark knows what hit 'em!

I'm picturing the movie version of the old man climbing off his tractor in the field now. It's rated "R" because all of us old fuckers have a foul mouth problem. I'm just pissed that I can picture the face of the actor that portrays "Pops", but I can't remember his damn name.

I'm picturing the movie version of the old man climbing off his tractor in the field now. It's rated "R" because all of us old fuckers have a foul mouth problem. I'm just pissed that I can picture the face of the actor that portrays "Pops", but I can't remember his damn name.

His name is Samuel L. Jackson.

Pops: Hey!!!

Mom: What?

Pops: Turn this fuckin' tractor off!

Mom: Why???

Pops: I gotta go coach a goddamn game!!!

*cue the music*

yeah,
make light of it -

fuck off -

BTW, I tagged you because I was hoping for a little insight on "Pops". You are the Texas football guru here.

Those smiles weren't limited to SFA. After more than four decades of coaching, from Lubbock Christian and Eastern New Mexico to West Texas A&M and the Amarillo Dusters of the Intense Football League, the elder Carthel is a Lone Star football legend, with former players coaching at nearly every dot on the Texas map. That includes Colby, who followed his all-star stint as an Angelo State linebacker by serving as his father's defensive coordinator at West Texas A&M, where the Buffaloes won four conference titles and made six NCAA Division II playoff appearances in eight years before Don was ousted in a manner that still doesn't sit well with many.

BTW, I tagged you because I was hoping for a little insight on "Pops". You are the Texas football guru here.

Those smiles weren't limited to SFA. After more than four decades of coaching, from Lubbock Christian and Eastern New Mexico to West Texas A&M and the Amarillo Dusters of the Intense Football League, the elder Carthel is a Lone Star football legend, with former players coaching at nearly every dot on the Texas map. That includes Colby, who followed his all-star stint as an Angelo State linebacker by serving as his father's defensive coordinator at West Texas A&M, where the Buffaloes won four conference titles and made six NCAA Division II playoff appearances in eight years before Don was ousted in a manner that still doesn't sit well with many.
yes sir -

didn't really mean
to bring down the house -

i'm helpin a young lumberjack,
big boy, bout 6-6 n 350 -

guess it just hit a bit
close to home.-

cheers, brother!!