So let me ask you superfans a question about your fan base

Irishblooded

When it comes to programs and coaches we are all diehards to our schools good or bad. 1 win, or ending number 1. I have been pretty outspoken about Kelly for years, and caught a ton of shade on the homer boards and with friends and even back in the Rivals days because I didn't just back the guy at the helm. And here in the last couple of days on the podcasts, former players, coaches, etc. Have all come out and said they weren't fans. But that saying something negative about the coach and program wouldn't have done anything to help. It is funny even Holtz came out and hammered on him in a respect kind of way.

So as a fan of your school do you hold back and defend the bad and the good of a current program? Or do you call it for what it is and take the shade for it?

I’ll defend the bad stuff, short of it being obscene or criminal in nature. Todd Graham was very hard headed and intense (much like your guy) but he ran a clean program, Dennis Erickson not so much. Met and supported both but was good to see them leave. Most guys are run out like Bill Frieder our basketball coach in the 90’s during all that player-gambling stuff. Just couldn’t support my school then. Overall and despite coaches and talent and hopes and dreams, we’re just not allowed to have nice things at Always Something University.

When it comes to programs and coaches we are all diehards to our schools good or bad. 1 win, or ending number 1. I have been pretty outspoken about Kelly for years, and caught a ton of shade on the homer boards and with friends and even back in the Rivals days because I didn't just back the guy at the helm. And here in the last couple of days on the podcasts, former players, coaches, etc. Have all come out and said they weren't fans. But that saying something negative about the coach and program wouldn't have done anything to help. It is funny even Holtz came out and hammered on him in a respect kind of way.

I got banned on my home board speaking out against Joker Philips. Disgraceful then and now. Suck it Rivals UK home board.

I got banned on my home board speaking out against Joker Philips. Disgraceful then and now. Suck it Rivals UK home board.

Joker is the one that I couldn't support. He was just terrible. Didn't he use the excuse that the team was hungry (or cold or something) one year at Missouri (I think) and didn't want to come back out after halftime or something like that?

Gotta say, I was kind of embarrassed as to how long I supported Gillispe too.

So let me further ask this.

Do you care about the character of a coach if he is winning or keeping your team in the hunt to win, vs having a clean guy that goes 8-4 / 9-3 on average?

Joker is the one that I couldn't support. He was just terrible. Didn't he use the excuse that the team was hungry (or cold or something) one year at Missouri (I think) and didn't want to come back out after halftime or something like that?

Gotta say, I was kind of embarrassed as to how long I supported Gillispe too.
I think he was WR coach at FL after he gor fired. He is in "the where are they now category."

So let me further ask this.

Do you care about the character of a coach if he is winning or keeping your team in the hunt to win, vs having a clean guy that goes 8-4 / 9-3 on average?
You won, he is slime ball.

Fanbase? Every fanbase has its good fans with some crazies thrown in.
But can anybody be crazier than BAMA's? Hell, we shoot each other over shit.

Me? Well I've made some critical comments about this years team. Here and in a coupla other boards. I'm loyal to BAMA, period. But this year has seen uncharacteristic sloppiness for a Saban coached team.
Win or lose, ok. But sloppy undiscipined play I won't look past or rationalize. Yeah, BAMA is 11-1 and gonna play in the SECCG, but got there by the skin of its teeth.
I remember the first coupla years after Saban got there people were squealing about his hard assed attitude. Yeah. So what. He wasn't hired to be a pr man. He was hired to do exactly what he has done. We knew what we were getting and had no problem with it.

Fanbase? Every fanbase has its good fans with some crazies thrown in.
But can anybody be crazier than BAMA's? Hell, we shoot each other over shit.

Me? Well I've made some critical comments about this years team. Here and in a coupla other boards. I'm loyal to BAMA, period. But this year has seen uncharacteristic sloppiness for a Saban coached team.
Win or lose, ok. But sloppy undiscipined play I won't look past or rationalize. Yeah, BAMA is 11-1 and gonna play in the SECCG, but got there by the skin of its teeth.
I remember the first coupla years after Saban got there people were squealing about his hard assed attitude. Yeah. So what. He wasn't hired to be a pr man. He was hired to do exactly what he has done. We knew what we were getting and had no problem with it.

So, here's a question about your comments. Is Saban getting softer as he's getting older or is this year just an anomaly? A case of having a young team and not hitting his usual home runs on his perpetual revolving staff? What does this season mean toward the future for your team do you think? (I guess that was more than A question lol)

So as a fan of your school do you hold back and defend the bad and the good of a current program? Or do you call it for what it is and take the shade for it?
I call like it is. I’m very opinionated in case you never noticed.

I call out what I feel is stupid. Like very undisciplined, sloppy play. I can accept that being outplayed, and lose. Just not Jr's and Sr's playing like true freshman.
Stretching is not cheating. Blatant cheating should be hit hard

So, here's a question about your comments. Is Saban getting softer as he's getting older or is this year just an anomaly? A case of having a young team and not hitting his usual home runs on his perpetual revolving staff? What does this season mean toward the future for your team do you think? (I guess that was more than A question lol)
Saban is not his usual tuff self. I guess age and success maybe has mellowed him a bit. Young players? He's had to deal with player turnover and not had this kinda sloppy play.
And coaching does come into play also. I'm not an insider, so I don't know if anything else is going on behind the scenes.
I'm just mentioning what I see.

I fall under the I can pick on my brother but you better not. I will talk negative about the program and coach freely but find myself defending it when attacked. It's easy to be outspoken when the coach is bad for the program like some of our previous coaches. I'll give you credit IB, you have been critical of Kelly over the years even though he has been winning.