Sea Stories/War Stories

Part two:
So he walks into the NG CG's office and requests an open door meeting. The receptionist says that the CG is TDY for the week and calls the Command Sergeant Major over. Chris is fully expecting a shitstorm given that he has bypassed two chain of commands while trying to take a NG soldier in good standing into the Army. The NG and AR will not release soldiers for active unless they are shitheads or some extenuating circumstance. I know because I was released from the AR to go to the Navy and at the time I was a douchebag extraordinaire.

Chris tells the CSM that he is on leave and drove across the state without the consent of his command and gives his reasons. The CSM takes him to the CG temp replacement, a one star, and Chris makes his pitch. He gets the release and one of these:
thumbnail 3.jpg
thumbnail 4.jpg
He notifies his 1st Sgt about the guidon, emails him the pics and his leave was rescinded and changed to a four day pass.

My son had a legendary recruiting day, part one.
That little shit of mine has had a hell of a day and I could not be prouder of the bastard (term of endearment, my twin and I call each other the bastard and we are the fifth and sixth of Dad and Moms brood). He has a NG wanting to go Army and needs a conditional release signed by the CG of her unit. His chain of command said it was not possible to get and not to waste time. They knew he was going to the mat for it but didn't order him not to try. They warned him that he could be kicking a hornet's nest and they would not be taking any kind of heat and would throw him under the bus quickly.

So my son, an active duty Army Reservist, took two days leave and appropriated a government vehicle and drove from Spokane to JBLM in Tacoma to use the National Guard Commanding General's open door policy. He got there early and went to his old unit to check the security on their guidon. It was secure but the building across the street was 1st BTN HHC 1BN-37FA(HHC4-23INSFRG), whatever in hell that means in Army speak, and theirs was laid in a window. He walked right in and the CQ watch was absent so he checked the offices of their CO, Sgt Major, and 1st Sgt and they were empty. Chris walked right back, grabbed the guidon and ran like a scalded dog.
View attachment 21465
Kick a hornet's nest. Take no heat and throw under the bus quickly, eh?

Well, sometimes you gotts run it out there to make something happen.

Good on him.

Kick a hornet's nest. Take no heat and throw under the bus quickly, eh?

Well, sometimes you gotts run it out there to make something happen.

Good on him.
My son tends to operate in gray areas when he deems necessary. His command knows it and as long as he gives them plausible deniability and understands when they will and will not cover his ass he can do what he wants to do. In the last year, he has been on probation and placed at #8 army wide on the E7 promotion list. Like his damned old Dad, his life is like a box of chocolates ... sometimes he is the bug, other times he is the windshield but the impact is always the same.

Last edited:
My son had a legendary recruiting day, part one.
That little shit of mine has had a hell of a day and I could not be prouder of the bastard (term of endearment, my twin and I call each other the bastard and we are the fifth and sixth of Dad and Moms brood). He has a NG wanting to go Army and needs a conditional release signed by the CG of her unit. His chain of command said it was not possible to get and not to waste time. They knew he was going to the mat for it but didn't order him not to try. They warned him that he could be kicking a hornet's nest and they would not be taking any kind of heat and would throw him under the bus quickly.

So my son, an active duty Army Reservist, took two days leave and appropriated a government vehicle and drove from Spokane to JBLM in Tacoma to use the National Guard Commanding General's open door policy. He got there early and went to his old unit to check the security on their guidon. It was secure but the building across the street was 1st BTN HHC 1BN-37FA(HHC4-23INSFRG), whatever in hell that means in Army speak, and theirs was laid in a window. He walked right in and the CQ watch was absent so he checked the offices of their CO, Sgt Major, and 1st Sgt and they were empty. Chris walked right back, grabbed the guidon and ran like a scalded dog.
View attachment 21465
HHC is Headquarters/Headquarters Company, essentially all the assets of a combat arms battalion that aren’t assigned to a line company (alpha thru delta), think maintenance, medics, signal etc

FA is field artillery

SFRG is soldier/family readiness group which functions as a liaison of sorts to keep families involved and up to speed, iirc

View attachment 21515
No story, I thought ODD and others of the same ilk would like this.

Ah, off to boot camp graduation where they get to see their newly minted Marine.

I do see one strange thing in the pic though. That's a Wyoming license plate. Traditionally, recruits from east of the Mississippi go to Parris Island and recruits from west of the Mississippi go to San Diego for boot camp. Really, the only exceptions for males is if you had a close family member that had gone to one of the recruit depots then no matter where you lived, you could go to the same one. Also all female recruits used to go to Parris Island, but they also go to San Diego now too.

Sorry, don't mean to bore you guys with that shit cause this is the kinda stuff you love to see and you don't see every day on the road. Just a detail that caught my attention.

Ah, off to boot camp graduation where they get to see their newly minted Marine.

I do see one strange thing in the pic though. That's a Wyoming license plate. Traditionally, recruits from east of the Mississippi go to Parris Island and recruits from west of the Mississippi go to San Diego for boot camp. Really, the only exceptions for males is if you had a close family member that had gone to one of the recruit depots then no matter where you lived, you could go to the same one. Also all female recruits used to go to Parris Island, but they also go to San Diego now too.

Sorry, don't mean to bore you guys with that shit cause this is the kinda stuff you love to see and you don't see every day on the road. Just a detail that caught my attention.
Might be a family member living in Wyoming that picked up some of the family after crossing the Mississippi River, where they are actually from.

So all y'all know I been married 4 times, right. Let me tell you about the #5 that didn't happen.

We pulled into Portsmouth, England after doing Operation North Star in Norway in '87. IIRC, I was on the USS IWO JIMA that time. Anyways, we had a week long port call. Me and the other enlisted guys in S-2 had already got permission to rent a car and go to London while we were in port. We got off ship the first night and hit one of the clubs. I hit it off with a local college girl and ended up inviting her to London with us for the next 4 days.

Hands DOWN the best BJ I ever had. She didn't stop until I got the second nut. EVERY time. It was a vile sexfest the entire time. I couldn't tell you how much money I spent on overseas phone calls for the next nine months. I've said this for 36 years, "If I'd have been in England for another week, I woulda married her ass."

@MarineUKFan

Last edited:
So all y'all know I been married 4 times, right. Let me tell you about the #5 that didn't happen.

We pulled into Portsmouth, England after doing Operation North Star in Norway in '87. IIRC, I was on the USS IWO JIMA that time. Anyways, we had a week long port call. Me and the other enlisted guys in S-2 had already got permission to rent a car and go to London while we were in port. We got off ship the first night and hit one of the clubs. I hit it off with a local college girl and ended up inviting her to London with us for the next 4 days.

Hands DOWN the best BJ I ever had. She didn't stop until I got the second nut. EVERY time. It was a vile sexfest the entire time. I couldn't tell you how much money I spent on overseas phone calls for the next nine months. I've said this for 36 years, "If I'd have been in England for another week, I woulda married her ass."

@MarineUKFan

LMAO, I've also ported in Portsmouth. But all I got was fish and chips (fucking rocking at the place right down the pier I might add) and a train ride to London. Didn't get the blowjob tour from the MWR. Lucky for you.

I don't have a war story, but I do have a letter from my Grandmother to her parents in WWII.

Dear Ma and Pa,

I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled. ...

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food. But tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

We go on 'route marches,' which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A 'route march' is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake. I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6' and 130 pounds and he's 6'8' and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,
Alice