Rank the ACC Jobs

Duckboy33

1. Clemson - You could make the argument that FSU should still be #1 but I think Clemson has made the upgrades and has shown they are willing to do anything necessary to be tier 1 job in college football. Despite FSU's history as the kings of the ACC, I'm not sure if you can say that about them anymore.

2. Florida State - FSU benefits from being a big public school in the state of Florida. They've recently made some upgrades to their facilities but they still remain behind some of the top players in college football.

3. Miami FL - This is one of the toughest jobs to evaluate in the ACC. They obviously have had historical success and the amount of recruits within a 50 mile radius is insane. But their facilities lag well behind the other tier 1 jobs in college football and it's been a while since Miami FL was a tier 1 program.

4. Virginia Tech - Hokie has been on a decline the last few years and their recruiting has been disappointing. However, they still have a passionate fanbase and the name recognition to be a major player in VA/DC/MD recruiting. I'm not a fan of Fuente but the right coach will make Hokie a top 20 program again.

5. North Carolina - I think some people might have UNC higher due to the recruiting success Mack Brown is currently having. It's definitely a school with a lot of potential; they have a high ceiling. But this school has a low floor. If things aren't going well, Carolina recruiting can be cut throat and UNC can quickly fall out of good graces. Look what happened after Mack Brown left the first time.

6. Georgia Tech - There's so much talent in Georgia, Florida and the Carolinas. Tech won't compete with the big boys but even the leftovers will give you a pretty good ACC team.

7. NC State - NC State has a passionate and reliable fanbase. The Wolfpack haven't had a ton of historical success but they have the tools to be a good ACC team.

8. Louisville - L'ville has done a lot to upgrade their program over the last 20 years. If they keep this up, they will move into the top half of the ACC. However, Kentucky isn't a hot bead for recruiting and UK is also on the rise, which will make things tougher.

9. Virginia - Good facilities, good recruiting grounds but the football culture is bad. Fans don't show up for games anymore after a decade of losing. The last two years have been better on the field but haven't helped much in attendance or in recruiting.

10. Pittsburgh - Western PA and OH produces some good players but Pitt is a bit of an after thought in 2020. They don't have an on campus stadium and being sandwiched between Penn State and Ohio State doesn't help things.

11. Syracuse - Upstate NY isn't exactly a hotbead for recruiting. It's going to be tough to be consistently good at Syracuse.

12. Boston College - Similar to Syracuse but they're in a pro sports town. Eagles have to do a lot to get attention, even in Boston.

13. Duke - Facilities are nicer than they used to be but this doesn't feel like a P5 program.

14. Wake Forest - See above but Duke's name recognition is better because they are tier 1 in basketball.

What do you all think? Agree or Disagree?

1. Clemson - You could make the argument that FSU should still be #1 but I think Clemson has made the upgrades and has shown they are willing to do anything necessary to be tier 1 job in college football. Despite FSU's history as the kings of the ACC, I'm not sure if you can say that about them anymore.

Danny Ford approves this message.

Since 2010

Florida: 81-47 (.633)
VT:...........84-49 (.632)
Miami:...75-53 (.586)

Jes' sayin'...

Star average ain't everything. See Wisconsin and Oregon...

Since 2010

Florida: 81-47 (.633)
VT:...........84-49 (.632)
Miami:...75-53 (.586)

Jes' sayin'...

Star average ain't everything. See Wisconsin and Oregon...

It's not everything but it's something. Miami has a much higher ceiling than Tech. Tech also has a lot to prove now that Beamer's players are gone and Foster is gone as well. Tech is struggling on the trail and that's putting it mildly.

Sine Fuente became HC, Hokie and Miami have very similar records.

It's not everything but it's something. Miami has a much higher ceiling than Tech.

Miami has a much higher ceiling than Oregon and Wisconsin, Oklahoma State and TCU, Utah and Louisvilleamong other schools. Yet look at their records since 2010.

Tech also has a lot to prove now that Beamer's players are gone and Foster is gone as well. Tech is struggling on the trail and that's putting it mildly.

Frank and Bud were great coaches, no question, but when they didn't have the horses, it didn't matter. Two years ago, when Bud had to put walk-ons on defense due to their massive attrition and injuries, no one called him a defensive guru with a triple digit total defense. No one called Beamer a legend when he was celebrating a 0-0 tie going into OT against 2-8 Wake Forest.

If the schools I mentioned above can maintain their standards, I suppose the Hokies can as well. With only three lost starters this year (last year, they only had five seniors, and they are still young), VT should be strong. VT doesn't have the recruiting potential of Miami or Florida, but then again, neither does Wisconsin or Oklahoma State.

Since 2010, Virginia Tech is 84-49 (.632), even with the doldrums they have gone through. The following schools have been worse with higher ranking recruiting:

School-------------Star Avg (Win %)

Florida............................3.59 (.638)
Virginia Tech...........3.14 (.632)
South Carolina............3.25 (.605)
Miami.............................3.34 (.594)
Nebraska......................3.21 (.585)
Texas...............................3.55 (.555)
North Carolina............3.17 (.538)
Tennessee.....................3.45 (.504)
UCLA..............................3.46 (.500)
Ole Miss.......................3.27 (.484)

More to it than Jessies and Joes. Fuente was dealt a bad hand two years ago, and once he swapped QBs last year, VT took off. This year, he returns the vast majority of his two-deep, many of whom were first time starters last year. Let's see how he does. I believe if VT doesn't win at least ten games, his seat will get hot.

Sine Fuente became HC, Hokie and Miami have very similar records.

So does most teams...[/quote][/quote]

Miami has a much higher ceiling than Oregon and Wisconsin, Oklahoma State and TCU, Utah and Louisvilleamong other schools. Yet look at their records since 2010.

Frank and Bud were great coaches, no question, but when they didn't have the horses, it didn't matter. Two years ago, when Bud had to put walk-ons on defense due to their massive attrition and injuries, no one called him a defensive guru with a triple digit total defense. No one called Beamer a legend when he was celebrating a 0-0 tie going into OT against 2-8 Wake Forest.

If the schools I mentioned above can maintain their standards, I suppose the Hokies can as well. With only three lost starters this year (last year, they only had five seniors, and they are still young), VT should be strong. VT doesn't have the recruiting potential of Miami or Florida, but then again, neither does Wisconsin or Oklahoma State.

Since 2010, Virginia Tech is 84-49 (.632), even with the doldrums they have gone through. The following schools have been worse with higher ranking recruiting:

School-------------Star Avg (Win %)

Florida............................3.59 (.638)
Virginia Tech...........3.14 (.632)
South Carolina............3.25 (.605)
Miami.............................3.34 (.594)
Nebraska......................3.21 (.585)
Texas...............................3.55 (.555)
North Carolina............3.17 (.538)
Tennessee.....................3.45 (.504)
UCLA..............................3.46 (.500)
Ole Miss.......................3.27 (.484)

More to it than Jessies and Joes. Fuente was dealt a bad hand two years ago, and once he swapped QBs last year, VT took off. This year, he returns the vast majority of his two-deep, many of whom were first time starters last year. Let's see how he does. I believe if VT doesn't win at least ten games, his seat will get hot.

So does most teams...
[/quote]
[/QUOTE]

Recruiting matters and Hokies decline on the recruiting trail and their decline on the field can't just be overlooked. It's not that VT's class was average last year. It ranked 76th in the country and last in the ACC. That just doesn't happen at a school like Miami, which is why it's higher on the list.