Is The Opioid Crisis Real?

• Yes

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • LTS is a pussboy, LOL

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
It’s easier to GET heroin than it is opiates. At one point, I had a running Rx for Lortab 7.5’s. Had it for about 5 years. I took it only when I had to, and then only after I had tried Tylenol or Advil first. Constant knee pain, from being bone on bone, is a bitch. A 30 pill bottle might last me a year. I was very frugal about taking them. When I moved to CO and had to change doctors, she about had a stroke when she found out I had that Rx. Needless to say, she wouldn’t renew it which is why I had to have knee replacement surgery. I couldn’t manage the pain anymore.
I have a messed up left foot only three toes left and one does not work. My foot doc gave me a script for Lortab which was 30 with a refill once a month. My ex, who is a RN, got on meth and she was using them to sleep. On the 29th day she was calling for a refill. When we got divorced he knew what had been going on and he changed the scrip to 60 with refills. I don't think I ever had it refilled.

A couple of years ago I had rotator cuff surgery. The Ortho said it was a massive tear. My rehab said her instructions were ones she had never seen before in how little therapy she could do for several weeks. I was taking some strong azz pain killers and no I do not know what they were. At the Rolex 24 my best friend, who is a surgeon, said that I needed to quit taking them as they were doing things to me I did not realize. That was when I learned to appreciate three fingers of a good bourbon.

I did not chunk the pain med. I saved a few for rehab and let her push me to the limit until I got better which took a while. In fact they suggested that I get put under and have the shoulder manipulated to break it free. Doc said nope too dangerous. Finally one day it cracked and popped. Recovery was a lot quicker then. The unusual part of my injury was I had full use of my arm. One Doc told me that people that had a tear as big as mine did not have use of their arm. I had total use in fact did 195 lb pulldowns the night before surgery. After surgery thought it would be walk in the park until the nerve block wore off. Luckily my SIL is a RN and she got me through the first two days.

I can see how people can get hooked.

They are a huge problem and should never be used for chronic conditions as a long term solution/treatment. I was on them for over a decade but fortunately I was scared of them and took them as directed. The VA started me on Loratab 5 and as with any opioid the effectiveness wanes causing an increase in dosage or stronger narcotic. I quit the pain clinic while taking oxies and the doctors suggesting morphine.

Just a related thought: any time a doctor writes you any prescription for long term care, ask what condition(s) are needed to discontinue the medicine. Even if you lose weight and get your numbers under control, they seem to just can't stand to discontinue scripts.

Last edited:
I wanted to thank y'all for the good words in this thread. You all were right.

I had a rough ass time with a busted shoulder (I wrote about ITT), then I busted three ribs a few weeks later (don't ask) then managed to get COVID and had to cough/not get pneumonia on top of it all. I seriously thought God hated me for about 7 weeks.

But in any case, I just sucked it up and weaned myself off Tylenol and Advil after 5 weeks. F me if I ever deal with that crap again. It was miserable. I don't even drink, but damn did I seriously consider it a few times.

But thanks to y'all, I don't need to worry about Opioids.

I had a rough ass time with a busted shoulder (I wrote about ITT), then I busted three ribs a few weeks later (don't ask) then managed to get COVID and had to cough/not get pneumonia on top of it all. I seriously thought God hated me for about 7 weeks.

But in any case, I just sucked it up and weaned myself off Tylenol and Advil after 5 weeks. F me if I ever deal with that crap again. It was miserable. I don't even drink, but damn did I seriously consider it a few times.

You’re a damn man, amigo. Much respect.

Good deal. Gld you're doing better!!!

Glad you're back and on the mend my fren.

Also…..

DNjEeVz.png

giphy.gif