Home brewers gitt

Nod4Eight

The Nodfather
Who is making good home brews?

I recently made a bochet that I finally tried this weekend. Turned out great!

Got a fall beer that needs bottled soon but seems promising so far.

Trying a braggot next. Gonna cheat on this one and use malt extract rather than grains to start. Balancing the dryness and mouth on a braggot can be difficult so I'm starting easy.

What y'all got going?

I tried it years ago ( like twenty odd years ago... so I am sure they have refined parts of the process now but back then I made something like four batches and one came out so so and one came out pretty good. In the end it was a ton of work and then waiting around for at least 30 days to know if you have something decent. The liquor store is simply too close to my house for me to pursue home brewing as a hobby.

I was into it big time for over a decade. I mean really into it. Judged comps, in a club, fully invested. I loved it.

Can’t really drink these days. I mean I can but it screws my body up for a week. I bet I haven’t had 3 beers this year and I love the taste of beer!!

Still have all my stuff. I can do 10 gallon batches of 6% and lower. 5 gallon batches of high gravity stuff. Kegged everything. Have a 5 tap + 1 stout faucet kegerator I built. All of it sitting in the basement being ignored.

Made wine, cider, and mead too.

I can still talk brewing for hours. I will shut up now.

I tried it years ago ( like twenty odd years ago... so I am sure they have refined parts of the process now but back then I made something like four batches and one came out so so and one came out pretty good. In the end it was a ton of work and then waiting around for at least 30 days to know if you have something decent. The liquor store is simply too close to my house for me to pursue home brewing as a hobby.

This!! I’d love to give it a whirl and I’ve helped some friends brew and it’s pretty damn awesome but it’s just too damn convenient to go buy some already brewed beer after a long day at work.

it’s just too damn convenient to go buy some already brewed beer after a long day at work.

Especially now. There is a ton of good beer out there. I got into it because I could not find beer I liked on the shelf at the time.

Then I brewed because I enjoyed the process. It hit both the creative and scientific parts of my noggin.

You'd probably like the local wines they make around here.....Duplin Wines. No idea if their distribution is much more than local, but they have some really sweet wines. Sangria sweet......
There's a lot of ways to control the sweet/dry combination in a wine. Back sweetening, yeast choice, stabilization method, etc. Each has pros and cons. There's so much to experiment with, which makes it fun.

I was into it big time for over a decade. I mean really into it. Judged comps, in a club, fully invested. I loved it.

Can’t really drink these days. I mean I can but it screws my body up for a week. I bet I haven’t had 3 beers this year and I love the taste of beer!!

Still have all my stuff. I can do 10 gallon batches of 6% and lower. 5 gallon batches of high gravity stuff. Kegged everything. Have a 5 tap + 1 stout faucet kegerator I built. All of it sitting in the basement being ignored.

Made wine, cider, and mead too.

I can still talk brewing for hours. I will shut up now.
I was hoping you would show up. Wanna donate yer stuff? Haha

This!! I’d love to give it a whirl and I’ve helped some friends brew and it’s pretty damn awesome but it’s just too damn convenient to go buy some already brewed beer after a long day at work.
You CAN do both! I enjoy the process. Like pooods said, it allows me to take what I know and use that to be creative.

There's a lot of ways to control the sweet/dry combination in a wine. Back sweetening, yeast choice, stabilization method, etc. Each has pros and cons. There's so much to experiment with, which makes it fun.
Anybody had some bad home made wine? The stinch of vinegar will make you puke.