Florida State coaching search...

Is stoops still a thing? I haven't been following this very close and last u heard he said it wasnt him.

Has something changed ?

Rumors believe he is in negotiations with FSU, and a prominent FSU booster has gotten involved to help close. Sounds like he’s interested in not just money but also legitimate power (AD) afterwards.

Again, not sure where or goes, but he is a legitimate choice and is legitimately interested.

Well, I've seen first hand the build he's capable of.

He inherited two programs in bad shape, one a historical loser in Temple that had just lost two coaches in 3 years and was transitioning in conferences to heights they had never seen before, i.e. Beating PSU, hosting Game Day, getting consecutive 10 win seasons. The other, Baylor, who as on death's door and completely in ruins after a massive scandal that rocked it to it's core.

I also like that he went into a talent rich but extremely competitive state, one that he had zero familiarity with and zero connections, and has recruited his ass off and built up a profile in a place often cold to outsiders. I.E. I wouldn't worry about him coming into Florida or the Southeast and recruiting and building a staff.

Fleck's a true midwestern type of guy and he's a little more cornball. I certainly wouldn't complain about getting PJ. But if I had my choice, for the reasons I listed above, I'd prefer Matt.

That being said, I don't think we're really getting either of them.
Who do you think the top three targets are? And, which one gets it ?

Who do you think the top three targets are? And, which one gets it ?

I honestly have no clue outside of Stoops.

And I’m not even 100% positive on Stoops outside of he’s expressed some interest.

It’s been an awfully quiet search and discussion and they’re really keeping this as tight lipped as possible. I do think we’ll have a lot more to talk about this time next week. Even if Stoops isn’t candidate or he’s the guy, I think they’re waiting till after this week, which is Senior Day and time get to Bowl Eligibility before more info gets leaked.

The best guess I can give

1)Bob Stoops
2)Brent Venables
3)One of Fleck, Rhule, Campbell, Scott/Elliott, etc.

FSU should pay the buyout. Spare no expense. Fleck is absolutely a winner and will win big no matter where he is. Put him in a recruiting hotbed and he will be a contender for the NC for many years.

I'm looking for people to tell me a better coach for FSU going forward.

Doug Nussmeier.

FSU is all in for Stoops right now. Until that avenue is completely closed everyone else is on the back burner. The door is still open but the light is dim through the crack of a door that is probably just barely cracked.

I will laugh my ass off if Stoops goes to FSU. Gator fans have been pining for Big Game Bob ever since Spurrier left Florida. After every coaching change, the first choice for fans is Stoops. I think Stoops used Florida to get endless raises at Oklahoma...

Orgeron and Christobal had legit HC experience. Odell could very well be Larry Coker and Randy Shannon than he could Dabo.
Could be.... I certainly have my reservations, but I am sure the kids will play their asses off for him. I am sure he can bring in talent. I feel confident he would let his coaches coach... I do not know of he can put together a good staff. If he can fund raise and run a program. If he can be a good admin and figurehead HC type.

If he can keep Briles and Leavitt and is willing to jettison some of the dead weight on the coaching staff then I could see him doing pretty well and would be financially much more feasible then many other choices.
(The question is can he make good hires)

The problem FSU is going to run in to now is if they do not get Stoops and they hire nearly anyone else the players (and possibly many boosters) are not going to rally behind a new guy in the same way most likely. We are still not in a great position with APR so "processing" guys is not really an option. (The APR was a huge anchor for Willy)

Either way I think the rebuild will take the same amount of time whether it be Odell or Rhule or Campbell or Veneables because I think it is quite [possible with anyone other than Stoops we lose a lot of guys to transfer and a lot of this class, unless we hire Odell.

I will laugh my ass off if Stoops goes to FSU. Gator fans have been pining for Big Game Bob ever since Spurrier left Florida. After every coaching change, the first choice for fans is Stoops. I think Stoops used Florida to get endless raises at Oklahoma...
Much like Jimbo did with LSU when at FSU.

Could be.... I certainly have my reservations, but I am sure the kids will play their asses off for him. I am sure he can bring in talent. I feel confident he would let his coaches coach... I do not know of he can put together a good staff. If he can fund raise and run a program. If he can be a good admin and figurehead HC type.

If he can keep Briles and Leavitt and is willing to jettison some of the dead weight on the coaching staff then I could see him doing pretty well and would be financially much more feasible then many other choices.
(The question is can he make good hires)

The problem FSU is going to run in to now is if they do not get Stoops and they hire nearly anyone else the players (and possibly many boosters) are not going to rally behind a new guy in the same way most likely. We are still not in a great position with APR so "processing" guys is not really an option. (The APR was a huge anchor for Willy)

Either way I think the rebuild will take the same amount of time whether it be Odell or Rhule or Campbell or Veneables because I think it is quite [possible with anyone other than Stoops we lose a lot of guys to transfer and a lot of this class, unless we hire Odell.

Here’s my biggest issue. We just paid 20 Million to Willie. We’ve hired a major search firm, rumors abound about big money being spent on the program for facilities, asst coaches and support staff, and all that to get a position coach, as beloved as he can be, would be generally disappointing. As well as the negative recruiting as Odell would totally be sold, positively or negatively as a “temp fix.”
Again, wouldn’t be the worst choice, but man it’d mean some real questions about the shot callers right now.

Is stoops still a thing? I haven't been following this very close and last u heard he said it wasnt him.

Has something changed ?
Bob Stoops comments on potential return to college coachingAndrew Olson | 22 hours ago

Three Power 5 college football head coaching jobs have already come open, and there are sure to be more as the 2019 regular-season winds down here in November.
When CFB jobs come open, you can’t blame the fans for wondering if they can possibly hire a proven winner. When FSU fired Willie Taggart, former Oklahoma Sooners head coach Bob Stoops was immediately brought up as a lead candidate. If you believe the message board and social media insiders, Stoops has been talking to the Seminoles.
Stoops stepped away from coaching college football ahead of the 2017 season. He’s set to return to coaching but as the head coach and GM of the revived XFL’s Dallas Renegades. With so much uncertainty surrounding the lifespan of the new XFL, no one would be surprised if Stoops decided to take a college football head coaching job instead.

On Wednesday, Stoops called into ESPN Central Texas for a radio interview. The discussion was mostly focused on Stoops’ upcoming season with the Renegades, the topic of Stoops potentially returning to college football did come up.
“Well you never know what the Lord is going to bring ya,” Stoops said. “Everybody wants you to define your life at every age. At 50, they wanted me to know what I was going to do the rest of my life. And at 55, and now at 59, everyone thinks you gotta…ya know, who knows what I’ll be doing next year or the year after. You don’t know what you’re going to be doing next year. And the good Lord is the only one who knows.
“We’ll see where things end up for me.”
For now, though, Stoops is saying the right things about coaching in the XFL.
“I’m excited about this adventure here with the Dallas Renegades and looking forward to some good, exciting football with them,” Stoops said.
With Stoops having won national championship rings at Florida (1996, defensive coordinator) and Oklahoma (2000, head coach), and showing an interest in coaching again, he’s sure to be linked to many prominent college football jobs.

SaturdayDownSouth.com

Here’s my biggest issue. We just paid 20 Million to Willie. We’ve hired a major search firm, rumors abound about big money being spent on the program for facilities, asst coaches and support staff, and all that to get a position coach, as beloved as he can be, would be generally disappointing. As well as the negative recruiting as Odell would totally be sold, positively or negatively as a “temp fix.”
Again, wouldn’t be the worst choice, but man it’d mean some real questions about the shot callers right now.
I do not disagree. It is obvious we are all in for Stoops but if we do not get him it is really going to look stupid paying 20 mill to buy a guy out for anything less than a top tier coach and TBH there are some interesting guys out there but no one that is going to bring the level of season ticket sales for next season to help recoup some of that cost. Jettisoning Willie was as much of a financial decision as a football decision. The amount of revenue we are going to lose outstripped the cost to buy him out. I can not think of a guy outside of Stoops that changes the math much. Maybe Fleck or Veneables would help but Fleck just signed a huge extension and who knows if Brent is ever leaving Clemson (especially with his son player there right now.)

So sans those guys Odell would be the likely choice IMO because I just do not see Campbell or Rhule or anyone else out there that are likely candidates changing the math much... Maybe Leach could but not sure he would be a good fit somewhere as mainstream as FSU. Perhaps Richt but after his heart attack I do not see him getting back in the game not to mention he was pretty bad in Miami.

Excerpts from Tallahassee Democrat 11/14/19
Updated 7:49 a.m. ET Nov. 14, 2019
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...h-search-florida-state-candidates/4165339002/

Bob Stoops FSU rumor debunked
Bob Stoops, former Oklahoma head football coach is "on the list," according to Florida State athletic director, David Coburn.

More: Rumor control: Florida State sets the record straight on Bob Stoops, football coach search

Rumors have swirled that Stoops is nearly finalizing a deal with FSU to take the head football coach position. Coburn stated that those rumors are untrue.

"We are on schedule to have someone in this position by end of the month... Chances of something happening this week are virtually zero," Coburn said.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...h-search-florida-state-candidates/4165339002/

Bob Stoops, former Oklahoma head football coach is "on the list," according to Florida State athletic director, David Coburn.

More: Rumor control: Florida State sets the record straight on Bob Stoops, football coach search

Rumors have swirled that Stoops is nearly finalizing a deal with FSU to take the head football coach position. Coburn stated that those rumors are untrue.

"We are on schedule to have someone in this position by end of the month... Chances of something happening this week are virtually zero," Coburn said.

Wait.....you trust a Democrat?

I trust my boy @FifthQuarter He "knows" shit.

LOL

Bob may or may not take the job. But that article is full of shit.