Well.......

• 2001 Miami

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2011 Bama

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 2021 Georgia

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
It’s hard to compare the three really. Offenses have evolved so much since 2001. I think the UGA defense is the best I’ve seen since the 2011 Bama team, and ONE of the best ever. I don’t really think the dawgs have been challenged offensively yet this season. As of today, I would lean Bama.
Post this as a poll after the WLOCP, and my opinion might be different. Florida might not be up to (their) standard, but they do have a capable offense that can stress a defense.

It’s hard to compare the three really. Offenses have evolved so much since 2001. I think the UGA defense is the best I’ve seen since the 2011 Bama team, and ONE of the best ever. I don’t really think the dawgs have been challenged offensively yet this season. As of today, I would lean Bama.
Post this as a poll after the WLOCP, and my opinion might be different. Florida might not be up to (their) standard, but they do have a capable offense that can stress a defense.

Yeah. I figured this was posted....."too early to be sure", but Fox Sports posted a tweet that basically asked the question. It is a legit question, but time will answer it.

Edited to add: Yes, offenses have evolved substantially since 2001 and are scoring at a much higher rate. Yet here UGA is with the lowest "points given up" stat.

Last edited:
The only argument I have in UGA's favor on this one is that the Dawgs have 3 starters that are sophomores and are ineligible for the draft.
Not trying to create an argument, I just found that incredible. The fact that Kirby was the DC on that 2011 team, and duplicated it at UGA is not a coincidence.

Not trying to create an argument, I just found that incredible. The fact that Kirby was the DC on that 2011 team, and duplicated it at UGA is not a coincidence.

He stated early on that that was his intention. Even the pundits that know less about CFB than us talk about how this UGA defense looks like Bama's defenses during his time with Saban. I'm just happy that Kirby has an OC that he feels confident about staying out of his way.

I was under the impression that Saban had to change the system because of the extra yard(s) a lineman can go downfield on a pass due to rules changes. IIRC that was one of the key reads for his LBs and DBs. IF IIRC, then it appears to me that Kirby may have found a way to salvage that system.

I was under the impression that Saban had to change the system because of the extra yard(s) a lineman can go downfield on a pass due to rules changes. IIRC that was one of the key reads for his LBs and DBs. IF IIRC, then it appears to me that Kirby may have found a way to salvage that system.
Not totally wrong. One of the bigger issues was that the rules at the time didn’t allow time for the defense to substitute if the offense did. Teams ( like Auburn) who ran an uptempo offense could could sub a player quickly but the defense didn’t have time to adjust. Huge advantage for the offense. It led to lots of penalties, and lots of big plays. Kirby was a huge part in figuring out how to get the substitutions in quickly, even when facing a hurry up offense. Now the rule allows the defense to sub every time the offense does.