2023 Breakout FBS QBs
Emmett Morehead – Boston College
• Morehead is a big tall QB who takes over for Phil Jurkovec. Last season Morehead threw for 1,254 yards 10 TDs and looked like a viable starter with good potential.
Cade Klubnik – Clemson
• Klubnik is a former 5 star and he has all the tools to be a top 10 QB in College Football. Last season as a True Freshman he threw for 697 yards 2 TDs 3 INTs and rushed for 139 yards 2 TDs. I believe the Offensive Coordinator change bringing in Garrett Riley will drastically help Klubnik.
Mitch Griffis – Wake Forest
• Griffis takes over for Sam Hartman who transferred to Notre Dame. In his career he’s thrown for 404 yards 6 TDs and rushed for 12 yards. Griffis will be overlooked by many this season but I believe he’s a player who could also be a sneaky good CFF QB.
Mason Garcia – ECU
• Garcia was a coveted recruit who is expected to make a big impact this fall. He takes over for ECU Legend Holton Ahlers who had an outstanding career. Garcia is 6’5 and has all the tools to be an excellent passer. In his career he’s thrown for 179 yards 1 TD and rushed for 120 yards 2 TDs.
Preston Stone – SMU
• Stone is a former 4 star recruit who waited for his time behind Tanner Mordecai who transferred to Wisconsin. Stone is a Dual Threat and the sophomore is expected to be one of the top QBs in the AAC by seasons end. In his career he’s thrown for 412 yards 2 TDs and rushed for 65 yards 2 TDs.
Tayven Jackson – Indiana
• Jackson Transfers in from Tennessee and the Freshman is expected to be QB1 in Bloomington. Jackson is raw as a QB still but my seasons end he should develop into a viable starter.
Noah Kim – Michigan State
• Kim is a former 3 star recruit from Northern VA and the Junior has waited for his opportunity. In his career he’s thrown for 174 yards 3 TDs while completing 73.7% of his passes.
Kyle McCord – Ohio State
• McCord has as much potential for a massive season this year as anyone because he’s surrounded with elite talent. McCord will be passing to Marvin Harrison Jr, Emeka Egbuka, Julian Fleming and Cade Stover which is arguably the best receiving corps in CFB. In his career he’s thrown for 606 yards 3 Touchdowns.
Drew Allar – Penn State
• Allar already has a NFL ready body and arm he just needs experience. In his career he’s thrown for 344 yards 4 TDs and rushed for 52 yards 1 TD. I expect a MASSIVE 2023 season from Allar.
Luke Altmyer – Illinois
• Altmyer is one of the most underrated Transfer QBs this season in my opinion. If he can play to his potential he’s going to be the best QB the Illini have had in quite some time. In his career he’s thrown for 317 yards 3 TDs 3 INTs and rushed for 1 TD.
Athan Kaliakmanis – Minnesota
• Kaliakmanis takes over for Tanner Morgan who had an excellent career in Minneapolis. Kaliakmanis is a Dual Threat who can provide production on the ground which could make the Gophers more dangerous on Offense. Last season he threw for 946 yards 3 TDs 4 INTs and rushed for 140 yards 1 TD.
Hudson Card – Purdue
• Card Transfers in from Texas and he was one of the top Transfer Portal QBs available. In his career he’s thrown for 1,523 yards 11 TDs and rushed for 74 yards 1 TD. Card has an impressive completion percentage of 65.5 and he should put up big numbers as a Full Time starter in 2023.
Chandler Morris – TCU
• Morris haa big shoes to fill replacing Max Duggan who led the Horned Frogs to the National Championship game last season. Morris will be surrounded by some solid RBs & WRs which should make his transition easier. In his career he’s thrown for 901 yards 4 TDs 0 INTs and rushed for 151 yards 3 Touchdowns.
Garrett Greene – West Virginia
• Greene is a Dual Threat QB who gave the Mountaineers a spark last season. He will be surrounded by an elite Offensive Line and that should help him out tremendously. In his career he’s thrown for 664 yards 5 TDs and rushed for 613 yards 9 TDs.
Taisun Phommachanh – UMass
• Phommachanh is a Transfer from Georgia Tech and former 4 star recruit. The Minutemen need someone to step up at QB and Phommachanh will have plenty of opportunities to do so. In his career he’s thrown for 217 yards 1 TD and rushed for 206 yards 3 TDs. Phommachanh needs to work on his accuracy, he has a career completion percentage of 45.3 & 4 INTs.
Austin Smith – EMU
• Smith is a veteran who will get his opportunity in 2023. In his career he’s thrown for 790 yards 6 TDs and rushed for 255 yards 2 TDs.
Sam Jackson V – California
• Jackson V is a former 4 star who Transfers in from TCU. He’s a Dual Threat QB who should provide plenty of production for the Golden Bears who need a QB to step up badly. In his career Jackson V has thrown for 140 yards and rushed for 2 Touchdowns.
Carson Beck – Georgia
• Beck has an opportunity to be one of the top QBs in CFB this season and get his name on NFL Teams Radars. He will be surrounded by loads of talent and passing to the best Tight End in CFB. In his career he’s thrown for 486 yards 6 TDs and rushed for 58 yards.
Conner Weigman – Texas A&M
• Weigman showed potential last season as a Freshman and with Jimbo relinquishing playcalling duties I believe Weigman could get a boost. Last season as a Freshman he threw for 896 yards 8 TDs and rushed for 97 yards.
Ryan Burger – Appalachian State
• Burger is a Freshman who is expected to make an impact immediately in Boone. Last season he was (4-6) Passing for 40 yards and rushed for 23 yards. Burger is inexperienced but has the accuracy and awareness to make an impact as a starting QB.
Cam Fancher – Marshall
• Fancher showed a lot of potential last season and went 6-1 as the starting QB. He’s only a sophomore but has a tremendous amount of upside. In his career he’s thrown for 1,604 yards 10 Touchdowns and rushed for 484 yards 1 TD.
Malik Hornsby – Texas State
• Hornsby will be one of the biggest breakout players in College Football this season. I was able to witness his athleticism at Arkansas and he’s got ELITE quickness and speed. In his career he’s thrown for 314 yards 1 TD and rushed for 307 yards 1 TD.